- 4 cups chicken broth (make sure it is warm, not cold)
- 1-2 Tablespoon Bacon grease or oil
- 1 ½ cups Arborio rice
- ½ cup white wine
- 1 ½ tsp. dry ground mustard
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- ¼ cup bacon, chopped
- ½ cup Greek yogurt (or sour cream)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place onion in a large saucepan with onion and bacon grease, cook until nearly translucent.
- Stir in garlic, cook for 1 minute.
- Add arborio rice and cook while stirring for 1-2 additional minutes until rice begins to get a light golden color.
- Pour in wine, and a ½ cup of broth, stir until all liquid is absorbed.
- Repeat the process-add remaining broth ½ cup at a time, stirring regularly (and often) until no liquid remains.
- Stir in bacon pieces, cheddar cheese, sour cream, and ground mustard.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Top with fresh shredded cheese and bacon pieces, serve immediately
One-Pot Bacon Chipotle Mac & Cheese
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
Yield: 5-6 servings
A quick, easy, one-pot meal that’s perfect for busy nights!
- 4 slices of bacon
- 4 cups of macaroni
- 5 cups of milk (I use 1%)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2-1 tsp pureed chipotle peppers in adobo (you can always freeze whatever you don’t use!)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Chop bacon and fry in a large pot over medium-high heat until crisp. Drain fat from pot, but leave bacon in. (Optional: if you want the bacon crispy on top, take it out and add it back on when the pasta’s done cooking. I did half and half, left half in for flavour, took half out)
- To the same pot add macaroni, milk, and salt. Bring to a simmer (watching carefully — you don’t want to scorch your milk) over medium heat and cook, stirring frequently, until pasta is al dente, about 10-15 minutes.
- Stir in your desired amount of chipotle and cheese.
Smothered Chicken & Cheesy Potato Casserole
4-5 medium russet potatoes
1 10.75-oz. can condensed cheddar cheese soup* (such as Campbell’s)
1 1/4 cups milk
8-10 slices of bacon
8 chicken breast tenderloins (about 1.25-1.5 pounds)
4 ounces cheese**, shredded (about 1 cup)
Salt & pepper
Combine cheese soup and milk then whisk until smooth. Reserve 1 cup of cheese soup mixture and set aside to use later.
Wash and peel potatoes then cut into thin slices (about 1/4 inch thick). Spray the bottom and sides of a 13×9 baking dish with cooking spray. Spoon 1/4 of the cheese soup mixture into the bottom of the dish. Add a single layer of potato slices. Season potatoes with salt and pepper. Spoon another 1/4 of soup mixture over potatoes. Repeat this process two more times so that you have three layers of potatoes topped with soup mixture. Don’t forget to salt and pepper each layer of potatoes. Cover dish tightly with aluminum foil and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, slice bacon into 1/2-inch strips and cook in a skillet over medium-high heat until bacon is browned and crispy. Remove bacon pieces from skillet with a slotted spoon; set aside.
Season chicken tenderloins with salt and pepper then sauté in bacon drippings over medium-high heat until lightly browned (we’re not trying to cook them through, just get a nice sear on each side); set aside.
Remove dish from oven and uncover. Arrange chicken tenderloins on top of potatoes and pour reserved cheese soup mixture over chicken. Cover tightly again and continue cooking for 30 more minutes.
Remove dish from oven and uncover. Sprinkle shredded cheese evenly over chicken and potatoes then top with bacon pieces. Return dish to oven and continue cooking, uncovered, for 5-10 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.